Sometimes you just fancy a feeling of homecooked goodness, and our basic sweet potato and chicken casserole gives you that without the graft you’d normally have to put into it.
Check out our basic Sweet Potato and Chicken Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed and crushed
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Himalayan pink salt and black pepper
- 700ml hot chicken stock (we use Knorr cubes - gluten-free)
- 8 chicken thighs - skin on
- Steamed Vegetables for the side - We like our with Aspargus and Samphire
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/gas mark 4).
2. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat to high heat. When it’s hot, add the onions and cook, stirring regularly for about 7 minutes or until they soften and start to colour.
3. Add the thyme and garlic, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. The smell should be getting to you by now.
4. Lay half of the sliced sweet potatoes onto the bottom of a roasting tray. Spoon over the onion, garlic and thyme mix and then lay the remaining sweet potatoes down.
5. Season with your salt and pepper, then pour over your hot stock.
6. Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes without covering, until they go soft and brown nicely on top. If they start to burn, cover with foil.
7. While your potatoes are cooking, heat the rest of your olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. When it is hot, lay four of your chicken thighs, skin side down into the pan. Fry for about 6 minutes until the skin turns golden and crisp – Yum. Flip the chicken over and fry for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat for the remain four thighs.
8. When your sweet potatoes have been cooking for 30 minutes, remove the tray and place your chicken thighs on top of the sweet potatoes. Place them back in the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. You can check by slicing into your chicken to make sure the meat is clear with no raw bits.
9. Remove the tray from the oven, leave for a few minutes to rest before serving with your steamed vegetables.